Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Girl on Fire

The candlelight flickered off these pages
But these walls have seen more casting shadows
From my heart than the flame on the wax.

Eyes look best in campfire light,
and maybe that's how I saw you;
a flawed but ever glowing soul.

Like flares our kisses sent messages
to the untouched ashy sky above
"God, this is good. Help our hearts not to burn."


Now I know why burn victims are said to have the worst kind of pain.

Because I have third degree burns 
on every memory we've ever made.
I miss the way we breathed each other
Without the smoke filled doubt consuming your lungs.

 I'm tired of holding on to hope in these embers
Cause the only thing that's going to re-spark your interest
can't be felt through the alcohol in your system. 

If you were reading this, I'd tell you you're damn firefighter.


Come back to the you I fell in love with,
  And put this fire out, before I turn to ashes.






2 comments :

  1. Because I have third degree burns
    on every memory we've ever made.

    I love that line. This is amazing, girl.

    ReplyDelete