Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Finding Neverland

Things we should have listened to when our parents told us:

"Don't wish your life away."
"Enjoy being young"
"There is plenty of time to grow up"
"You're only young once"

Most of us heard these phrases once or twice from our parents. Maybe some of us heard them hundreds of times and rolled our eyes. Back then, growing up seemed so magical. Most of us imagined and wondered what it would be like to be older: to drive, date, and boss our own kids around one day. Most of us also probably said we would never make our kids do chores when we are parents. We didn't imagine that growing up was hard, and not just fun. As we are almost adults now we're starting to realize that our parents were right. "Enjoy being young, you're only young once." The problem is most of us realize this too late.

Do you remember being young? The biggest fear you had was a monster under your bed. (or in my case I was afraid of Wolverines.(don't ask)
Do you remember being young? The most pain you felt was scraping your knee, or getting rug burn from wrestling around on the ground.
Do you remember being young? The hardest battle you fought was at the dinner table, fighting your mom about eating your vegetables.
Do you remember being young? The most heartache you felt was when you missed your mom or dad.

Sometimes I think Peter Pan had it right. Sometimes I wish I could go to Neverland and be young forever. I wouldn't have to grow up. I wouldn't have to pay taxes, move away from home, worry about providing for a family, experience heartbreak, and pain and the fears that come with being an adult.

It's these reasons I'd really like to go to Neverland. However, I don't think I would like to stay. There are still parts of growing up I'd like to experience one day. Things like falling in love, getting married, having children, and all the other good parts of growing up. Growing up is hard, and most of the time its scary. But I think in the end, it's worth it.


1 comment :

  1. I think peter pan had it right too.

    let's just say I like it

    ReplyDelete