Sunday, March 16, 2014

Scripted answers and Plot twists


           "Hey Hows it going?"
     "Good, how are you?"
     "Good thanks!"

This is a conversation we have many times a day. We have it while in the halls of the school,with the checkout lady at target, with someone you pass by when on a walk,  with the person at subway who makes your sandwich. This conversation is so familiar to us..but its also the most scripted one we could have.

When we answer good, how many times are we actually "good?" Truth is, the answer good means nothing in this conversation. It's just something we are expected to say. We don't even think about the answer before we say it. Its automatic. Its rehearsed. The truth is, the person asking how you are sometimes stops listening after they ask, because they know what your going to say next. "Good."

What would it be like if someone actually answered honestly to that question when we asked it? 

"Hey Hows it going?"
"Not great actually,
"I'm not okay." 
"I'm better today" 
It could be better."
"I'm so happy today."
What would are reaction be? It would probably be such plot twist it would throw us off. 


Line please?
 .

What would our next line be? Would we give them an awkward look, say "okay" and "goodbye"? Would we stop whatever it was we were doing or wherever it was we were going, turn around and and ask them why they weren't okay and take the time to care?

In my perfect world, we would care. Isn't that why we ask people how they are? Wouldn't it be nice to get an honest answer for once? To give one for once?
If you were to ask me how I honestly am right now I would tell you I'm insecure today particularly with how I look. I'm insecure and sensitive.

I guess with that said, I'll ask you, How are you? Give me honest answers. Give me a plot twist.  Tell me if you're sad. Tell me if you're scared. Tell me if your happy. If you're feeling insecure, or If you're so unbelievably happy. I want to know. I want to care. 


4 comments :

  1. Great post read it a bunch of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Give me honest answers. Give me a plot twist. " Strong lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea about our meaningless conversations that we have everywhere.

    ReplyDelete